Cardiovascular disease is a term for a range of diseases that affect the heart and blood vessels. These diseases stop the heart from working properly and can be fatal. The most common cardiovascular diseases are coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease.
Cardiovascular diseases are common and cause 27% of deaths in Australia. More people die from these diseases than any other disease.
All Australians need to take steps to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease. There are many lifestyle factors that increase your risk, but the good news is they are mostly preventable. The best way to reduce your risk is to:
- 吃健康的饮食 – talk to your GP about what this means
- 定期运动 – aim for 30 minutes every day
- Get enough sleep – try to get 7 to 8 hours every night
- Reduce foods high in fat and sugar – avoid processed foods
- Limit alcohol – stick to the recommended daily amount
- 戒烟 – phone 13QUIT to get started
If you are at risk of cardiovascular disease, your GP will talk to you about how to reduce your risk and stay healthy.