ما هو؟

It is very common for small children to put items in their mouths, and then potentially inhale them. It is most common in children aged under the age of 3, although can happen at any age. Peanuts and other small food items are common items that can be accidentally inhaled.

If the object is large it may get stuck in the upper airway. This causes choking and difficulty breathing. It is important know how to manage your child if they start choking. This will involve a firm hit to the child's back to free the stuck item. This is an emergency and you should call an ambulance on 000 immediately.

Sometimes the item will get stuck further down the airway, which may cause symptoms such as wheezing, coughing or shortness of breath.

All inhaled foreign objects must be removed and will always require a visit to hospital.