What is it?
People with diabetes need to eat certain foods and avoid others. There is no one-size-fits-all diet for diabetes, as everyone is different. But it is important to eat foods from the five food groups: fruit and vegetables, starchy food, dairy, protein and fat. Here are some steps your diabetes diet plan will need to consider:
- Eat the recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables
- Choose low-fat foods, like lean meat and low-fat dairy
- Limit foods with added salt and sugar
- Eat high-fibre foods (wholegrain breads, rice, pasta, noodles)
- Eat low-GI foods
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat two servings of fish every week
- Limit alcohol to guidelines
Your GP can help you to learn the principles of healthy eating and may develop a diet plan that suits your unique needs. If you have type 1 diabetes, you will need to know how to match your carbohydrate intake with your insulin dose.